Built in 1830, the Salstburg Area Historical Society's Stone House Museum is a reflection of the community's past. Housed in this grand old structure are artifacts that will help us learn about the strength and resolve that carried Saltsburg area residents through prosperous and difficult times during the last two centuries. The stories of past generations come alive at the Rebecca B. Hadden Stone House Museum. Come visit and discover how these hearty souls of Saltsburg lived, survived, prospered and coped, and how their lives have become a reflection of the American Spirit.
This was the home of one of the McIlwain brothers, who are credited with much of the growth and development of early Saltsburg. Robert McIlwain, Saltsburg's first blacksmith, built this home for his residence. Dr. James Crawford would live in the home in 1871. In 1993, the Stone House Museum was dedicated to Rebecca B. Hadden, the founder of the Historical Society. Mrs. Hadden was a physician's wife who was universally well liked, diplomatic, and was active in early preservation efforts and many other community activities.
Saltsburg was laid out by Andrew Boggs in 1817 and was incorporated in 1838.
Salt was manufactured near Saltsburg starting in 1812.
First church services were held (Presbyterian) in November, 1817.
The first church was erected in 1820. It was destroyed by fire in 1831. The present Presbyterian Church building was erected in 1874 at the corner of Salt and Washington Streets.
About 1820, the burial ground at the north end of town was started (Old Cemetery). The first burial ground near the pump station was stared in 1820. The Canal took part of it.
Western Division Pennsylvania Canal was opened through Saltsburg in March, 1829.
The Baptist Church was organized in Loyalhanna in 1828, and the church was erected in Saltsburg in 1840.
First United Presbyterian Church was erected in Saltsburg in 1843.
St. Matthew's Roman Catholic Chapel was erected in 1847.
Railroad bridge crossing the Kiskiminetas River was completed in 1864. Only the piers of the Western Pennsylvania Railroad remain at present.
Saltsburg Academy was erected in 1851.
Universalist Church was erected in 1870.
Saltsburg Press was started in 1875.
St. John's Lutheran Church was erected in 1882.
Methodist Church was organized in 1841, and the present building was erected in 1890.
The old wooden bridge, which spanned the Kiskiminetas River, was completed in 1842. It burned in 1922 and the present bridge opened November 22, 1985.
The first bridge constructed across Loyalhanna Creek was at Saltsburg in 1820, the second in 1842, and the third in 1967.
Woolen Mill was built in 1831. It was sold to Stewart Brothers who operated it. The Mill was damaged by the Johnstown Flood in 1889.
Kiskiminetas Springs School opened in 1888.
Saltsburg Glass Company opened in 1880.
Water Works was built in 1894.
Streets were paved in 1903.
Saltsburg Free Library started in 1909.